Dear KJ Charles Exchange creator
Feb. 10th, 2021 11:23 pmHello, creator! Very excited to see more KJ Charles fanworks in the world. :)
My first and most important principle is that I'd rather have a story or podfic you're excited about than one that fits my exact specifications below (excepting the DNWs). So if you've got an idea that's different from the ideas I gave, don't worry--your enthusiasm is more important to me than any specific content.
DNWs: My general DNWs are major character death, character death of any likeable character even if minor (deaths of villains or casefic victims of the week are fine), stories about grief, stories about trauma or trauma recovery, underage sex, homophobia beyond the level expressed in the canon, amnesia/memory issues, blood/bodily wastes in sex scenes, non-negotiated infidelity, or humiliation. Polyamory in the main romantic relationship (supporting character polyamory is fine), unless explicitly indicated a la Band Sinister. Characters being a gender they aren't in canon. Kidfic or pregnancy fic. (Appearances of canonical children are fine, but pleaficse don't focus on parenting in that situation). Levels of violence/torture/body horror greater than appearing in the canon itself--we all know KJC writes romance with a body count, and it's one of the things I love, but please don't exceed the level of the given series!
Do wants: In general, I tend to like fics with a lot of conversation and quality time for the main characters. I like a wide array of genres (slice of life, AU, casefic, pwp, character pieces, fluff, angst, straight-up romance). This year, I'd definitely like a happy/hopeful ending. I did that fanfic trope sorter again recently, and my top 5 were "seemingly unrequited pining", "enemies to friends to lovers", "snowed-in cabin", "A/B/O", and "daemons" (with friends to lovers at #6). You don't have to hit those--just as a general idea of the kinds of stuff I like. I post recs on this DW under the recs tag if you'd like to see the kinds of fics I read.
Explicit sex is fine but by no means required. Kink is also fine, as long as it follows the DNWs above, but again not required; it doesn't have to be a kink you know I like (or one that appears in canon) if it seems right for your story.
I like all the (non-villanous) characters (and some of the villains) in all of these series, so even if I've given a pairing, please feel free to make something else or include lots of supporting canonical characters. The one thing I'd ask is that if I give a pairing suggestion, please don't make me something that pairs those characters with anyone else--e.g. if I had requested Charm of Magpies and suggested Crane/Stephen, I'd prefer in that case not to receive Stephen/Merrick, but Ben/Jonah would be fine if the muse moved you. Gen is also, of course, great!
I have some specific prompts below if you'd like them, but--again--if you have some other brilliant idea, please feel free to go with that.
Band Sinister
Any combo of Guy/Philip/John/Corvin.
Post-canon OTP Guy/Philip or poly stuff would be lovely. Porn, relationship negotiation, Hey Guy How Do You Like the Big City, whatever! Also a big fan of AUs for this one--I think that, of KJC's books, this one has character dynamics that are among the most easily translated to another time period.
Green Men
Saul Lazenby/Randolph Glyde OR Hugh Barnaby/Max Isaacs
I just need more Saul and Randolph in my life--I was so disappointed when the book was over! However you wanna give that to me I'm gonna like. :) If you want specific prompts: comedy fic where Saul and Randolph keep getting almost caught in flagrante by other residents of Fetter Lane, none of whom seem to notice. Saul and Randolph case fic (they solve a haunting of some kind?). Saul and Randolph attempt to go on holiday and hijinks ensue.
OR Barney/Max--yesss love me some tentacles. Also, I love this kind of power dynamic in KJC's writing, where Barney has more social power due to class, but Max is obviously his equal in every way that matters.
Lilywhite Boys
Alec Pyne/Jerry Crozier
The kind of D/s dynamic that Alec and Jerry have is one of my favorites to read--and, hey, turns out I like Alec and Jerry as people, too. Some things I'd be interested in seeing in this canon: more of Jerry's POV; an AU in another time period, with other professions, or both; something romantic set post-canon.
Society of Gentlemen
Any of the canonical pairings (even the minor ones). Any of them. Any kind of fic. Go wild. Give me canon Francis/Ash, give me sci-fi AU Cirencester/Lady Cirencester, whatever, I really mean it, anything.
My first and most important principle is that I'd rather have a story or podfic you're excited about than one that fits my exact specifications below (excepting the DNWs). So if you've got an idea that's different from the ideas I gave, don't worry--your enthusiasm is more important to me than any specific content.
DNWs: My general DNWs are major character death, character death of any likeable character even if minor (deaths of villains or casefic victims of the week are fine), stories about grief, stories about trauma or trauma recovery, underage sex, homophobia beyond the level expressed in the canon, amnesia/memory issues, blood/bodily wastes in sex scenes, non-negotiated infidelity, or humiliation. Polyamory in the main romantic relationship (supporting character polyamory is fine), unless explicitly indicated a la Band Sinister. Characters being a gender they aren't in canon. Kidfic or pregnancy fic. (Appearances of canonical children are fine, but pleaficse don't focus on parenting in that situation). Levels of violence/torture/body horror greater than appearing in the canon itself--we all know KJC writes romance with a body count, and it's one of the things I love, but please don't exceed the level of the given series!
Do wants: In general, I tend to like fics with a lot of conversation and quality time for the main characters. I like a wide array of genres (slice of life, AU, casefic, pwp, character pieces, fluff, angst, straight-up romance). This year, I'd definitely like a happy/hopeful ending. I did that fanfic trope sorter again recently, and my top 5 were "seemingly unrequited pining", "enemies to friends to lovers", "snowed-in cabin", "A/B/O", and "daemons" (with friends to lovers at #6). You don't have to hit those--just as a general idea of the kinds of stuff I like. I post recs on this DW under the recs tag if you'd like to see the kinds of fics I read.
Explicit sex is fine but by no means required. Kink is also fine, as long as it follows the DNWs above, but again not required; it doesn't have to be a kink you know I like (or one that appears in canon) if it seems right for your story.
I like all the (non-villanous) characters (and some of the villains) in all of these series, so even if I've given a pairing, please feel free to make something else or include lots of supporting canonical characters. The one thing I'd ask is that if I give a pairing suggestion, please don't make me something that pairs those characters with anyone else--e.g. if I had requested Charm of Magpies and suggested Crane/Stephen, I'd prefer in that case not to receive Stephen/Merrick, but Ben/Jonah would be fine if the muse moved you. Gen is also, of course, great!
I have some specific prompts below if you'd like them, but--again--if you have some other brilliant idea, please feel free to go with that.
Band Sinister
Any combo of Guy/Philip/John/Corvin.
Post-canon OTP Guy/Philip or poly stuff would be lovely. Porn, relationship negotiation, Hey Guy How Do You Like the Big City, whatever! Also a big fan of AUs for this one--I think that, of KJC's books, this one has character dynamics that are among the most easily translated to another time period.
Green Men
Saul Lazenby/Randolph Glyde OR Hugh Barnaby/Max Isaacs
I just need more Saul and Randolph in my life--I was so disappointed when the book was over! However you wanna give that to me I'm gonna like. :) If you want specific prompts: comedy fic where Saul and Randolph keep getting almost caught in flagrante by other residents of Fetter Lane, none of whom seem to notice. Saul and Randolph case fic (they solve a haunting of some kind?). Saul and Randolph attempt to go on holiday and hijinks ensue.
OR Barney/Max--yesss love me some tentacles. Also, I love this kind of power dynamic in KJC's writing, where Barney has more social power due to class, but Max is obviously his equal in every way that matters.
Lilywhite Boys
Alec Pyne/Jerry Crozier
The kind of D/s dynamic that Alec and Jerry have is one of my favorites to read--and, hey, turns out I like Alec and Jerry as people, too. Some things I'd be interested in seeing in this canon: more of Jerry's POV; an AU in another time period, with other professions, or both; something romantic set post-canon.
Society of Gentlemen
Any of the canonical pairings (even the minor ones). Any of them. Any kind of fic. Go wild. Give me canon Francis/Ash, give me sci-fi AU Cirencester/Lady Cirencester, whatever, I really mean it, anything.